Click HERE to open a PDF version of this guide.
Step 1: Register
Visit www.nastel.com and register for Nastel Navigator Docker edition. If you need assistance, you can request it there as well.
Once completed, use the provided link to download the installation materials and this documentation.
Step 2: Prerequisites
- A Linux or Windows operating system (64-bit).
- Docker must already be installed and running and your user must be able to run Docker commands. On Linux, you need to be able to run without using sudo. For example, on Linux these commands would be used to install Docker and setup as required on AMI or similar OS:
sudo yum install docker
sudo service docker start
sudo usermod -a -G docker user (may require logoff and logon to take effect)
docker --version (should return the docker version)
- For Windows, a volume must be configured as shared for creating the required docker volumes.
- The components use standard ports and cannot be run if AutoPilot components are installed.
- MySQL should not be running on the server.
- The web server will use port 8080 by default.
- A queue manager to navigate must be running.
- A configured server connection channel that is accessible from the server where the Nastel Navigator components are installed. The channel can already be used for other management purposes, such as the IBM MQ Explorer.
- A minimum of 2 virtual CPUs
- At least 8 GB of RAM
- At least 10 GB of free space
Step 3: Create the Nastel Navigator Environment
- Unzip the software to a folder on your system:
- Change to the NavigatorExpress/docker folder and deploy the containers:
- Launch the Nastel Navigator menu by running one of the following:
- Select option 1, Deploy Navigator Express containers. Press Enter to accept the licensing terms (see licensing.htm for details). When prompted for host name, provide a name that resolves to the current host or an IP address (if no resolved hostname). The download and deploy process will begin. When prompted, provide a new password to use for the Admin account. The amount of time this takes depends on your network speed and system factors. Once deployed, you will be instructed to launch a browser and navigate to a web page. If you want to run other commands while waiting, use another session.
If you encounter any problems during deployment, the easiest thing to do is to correct the problem, and then perform the following to start over:
- Stop the containers (option 3).
- Clean the containers (option 5).
- Remove the containers (option 6).
Step 4: Configure Initial Environment
- Open a browser to launch the web GUI. Enter the following URL, be sure to update myserver with your server’s IP address.
- The login page will appear. Enter the following credentials:
User ID: Admin
Password: as set above
- You will be presented with the dashboards WorkSpace, My_Dashboard and Favorites.
My_Dashboard is the default dashboard, but if you expand its viewlets you will notice that there is no data. You will need to add a queue manager to the WorkSpace dashboard. Proceed to the next step for instructions on how to do this.
- On the WorkSpace dashboard, click the box next to the workspace and select Create > Remote Queue Manager.
The Remote Queue Manager Connections screen opens. Add one or more queue managers by clicking Add.
Enter the details for the queue manager on the General tab.On the Communication and SSL tabs enter connection and channel information for the queue manager’s particular instance. Click OK to close this dialog.
Once completed adding all desired queue managers, press OK to close the Remote queue Manager Connections window. You will see a green success message on the bottom right corner of the screen appear.
- Expedite the discovery process by un-managing and then re-managing the queue managers. Do this by selecting REMOTE_QMGRS within the MQM Node Viewlet, then select Manage (you will notice a checkmark next to this option).
Reselect REMOTE_QMGRS and click Manage again.
This will trigger a complete discovery. You are now done with adding queue managers.
- Expand the Queue Managers viewlet back on My_Dashboard. The queue managers you added from the above steps will display (in this example, queue managers QM3 and QM4). You will see some basic details like Command Level, Node Type and so on.
For additional videos and online help, click on the Help button located at the top-right of your screen.
Notes and Troubleshooting Hints
After deploying the containers, to stop and start them, use options 3 (Stop) and 4 (Start). Option 1 is just used the first time. You can also use the start_navigator.sh and stop_navigator.sh scripts without using the menu or use native docker start and stop commands.
If you want to start over, to remove everything, use option 3 (Stop), option 5 (Clean) and then use option 1 to deploy them again. Note that it is possible to get errors while cleaning which can be ignored.
If you want to remove the local images, use option 6 (Remove).
You can check the status of the containers with option 2 (Display) and there are 5 containers that should be running: domain, cep-wgs, wgs-mysql, navigator and nsqcm.
If the cep-wgs is not running, the most common cause is that the host/ip address specified was not able to resolve properly. You can check this by using the command docker logs cep-wgs and looking for any errors near the bottom reflecting host connectivity issues. Clean the containers (option 5) and redeploy using the IP address instead.
If the domain fails to start on Windows, it may be due to an existing Docker limitation with file sharing on Windows. Please contact us for latest information.
If your queue manager did not correctly connect, you can check the logs for the nsqcm container. Use the command docker logs nsqcm. Common errors to see include:
- RC 2538: Indicates an issue with connection to the queue manager. Could be an invalid host or port or channel authorization preventing connection. - RC 2035: Indicates a security issue, such as invalid user or password.
Having other issues? Contact us at https://www.nastel.com/contact-us/ or via live chat at the original registration link.