Sharing dashboards is a beneficial feature that allows you to:
- Create a series of dashboards that a new user will get automatically when they login
- Sharing dashboards with other members of your team
Shared dashboards are displayed on the main tab bar with all other dashboards, however they can only be edited by the dashboard owner.
How to share a dashboard
Right click on the dashboard tab to share and select Share this dashboard. From the popup menu, click the eye icon next to each group you want to share the dashboard with. The eye icon changes to green for selected groups.
A user will only be able to share dashboards with their own groups, unless they have the Show All Groups for Shared Dashboards permission (located in Security Manager) which will allow sharing with all groups.
When creating shared dashboards, consider the following restrictions:
- What each user sees will depend on their rights. For example, an Administrator creates a dashboard with a queues viewlet and shares it with the Payments and the Credit teams. When creating the dashboard, the Administrator user sees all queues, but the Payment and Credit teams will only see their queues when using it.
- If you share a dashboard containing a favorite viewlet which contains objects the shared group is not allowed to see, they will still show up in the viewlet but with no attributes.
- A shared dashboard cannot be deleted by the owner if there are active shares.
- User settings such as showing empty queues will apply on shared dashboards, so resulting views may differ slightly.
Viewing shared dashboards
When a user logs on for the first time, all shared dashboards will be visible automatically, based on the groups they belong to.
If a user has previously logged in, newly shared dashboards will not be visible automatically. To view available dashboards, click on the Dashboards… button located at the top-right of the screen.
The Add shared dashboard window opens where you can select the shared dashboards to display. Multiple dashboards can be selected at one time.
The selected dashboard is now displayed on the main tab bar as seen in the figure below.
If the shared dashboards you added do not display on the main tab bar, logout and log back in.
If a user closes a shared dashboard (clicks on the X), the dashboard will be removed from their main tab bar. It can be added back at any time by selecting it from the Add shared dashboard screen (as mentioned above, it is accessed by clicking the Dashboards… button).
When viewing shared dashboards created by someone else, the following restrictions apply:
- Viewlets within a shared dashboard can be minimized or maximized, but only for the current session; a viewlet’s collapsed/expanded state will not be saved.
- The Edit option is disabled for viewlets on shared dashboards (they can only be edited by the dashboard owner).
- Viewlets cannot be added to a shared dashboard.
- The shared dashboard cannot be renamed.
- Schemas cannot be applied. The schema applied by the dashboard’s owner is the only schema that will be used.