There are two methods to create viewlets:
- Specifying the viewlet's configurations in a form
- By writing a jKQL query (depending on user permission - if the user has the Suppress jKQL query interface option enabled, they will only have the rights to create viewlets using the form)
To create a viewlet, click the blue Viewlet button , or click on the Main Menu button and select Viewlet > Create.
Create a viewlet with jKQL
Perform the following to create a viewlet by writing a jKQL query:
- Select Create Viewlet with jKQL on the Create/Open Viewlet dialog box (displayed above).
- In the Define Query field, start typing the query. As you type, suggestions are provided in a drop-down list. In the below example the query, Get Log, is entered.
- Enter a name for your viewlet. In this example, My First Query was entered.
- Click Create. Your first viewlet is added to the dashboard.
Create a viewlet with a form
Perform the following to create a viewlet using the form.
- Select Create Viewlet with a Form on the Create/Open Viewlet dialog box.
- The form opens. Specify the configurations for the new viewlet. Associated required fields for a specific viewlet type are signified with a red box as seen in the below image.
Configure the following options:
- Viewlet Name: Specify a name for the viewlet.
- Data Type: Select Historical or Real-Time, specify all associated options.
- Fields: Depending on the chart type, the Count option is required for certain viewlets. Associated required fields will be signified with a red box.
- Group By: Select an option from the drop-down menu to use as the criteria to group data. Items with numerical elements will have a bucket option which allows you to specify how data should be grouped. Enable this option and select the type of bucketing.
- Filters: Multiple variables can be used to filter viewlets. Click the Add button to add a filter. The operators available depend on the filter selected. After selecting the filter and operator, populate the Value field.
Click the Create Variable button to create or modify variables.
- Viewlet Type: Select viewlet type.
- Viewlet Settings: Modify viewlet options. Please not that not all viewlets will have this section. Select the X and Y axes values and the Collated by option (available for column, bar, line, stack and area charts). Enable the Show option within the Legend section to display the chart definitions.
- After all specifications have been made, click the Preview button to view the viewlet before saving. To cancel and discard changes, click Close. When finished, click Create.